Our Mission – Changing Lives: Caring for Mind, Body and Soul
When we think about our health, the first things that come to mind is diet and exercise. However, good health isn’t just about the physical body. Our mind and body are interconnected and affect each other tremendously.
For example, a stressful situation causing negative thoughts can lead to physical pain or illness. It’s important to maintain a healthy balance between your mind, body, and soul by nurturing your whole self, including your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual needs.
There are many things you can do in your daily life to achieve overall wellness. Here are some simple ways to begin cultivating a mind-body-soul balance.
Caring for the Body
- Avoid sitting for extended periods of time. Try to stand or move around if possible. Too much sitting is linked to heart disease, diabetes, and a shortened lifespan.
- Get at least 15 minutes of moderate to fast-paced exercise each day. Walk on nice days. Exercise is important for heart health, physical stamina, and mood.
- Spend time outside. Now is the perfect time of year for walking, golfing, picnics, outdoor fun, and much more!
- Get enough sleep each night. And remember that you’re never too old for naps.
- Let go of the little things. If something won’t matter tomorrow, don’t let it ruin today.
Caring for the Mind
- Read and learn often. Your education shouldn’t stop once you’re retired. Open your mind to new possibilities, beliefs, and interests by reading, taking online classes, watching documentaries, and attending workshops.
- Be grateful. Take some time each day to write or think about the things you’re grateful for, like family, friends, pets, food, shelter, health, or the beauty of nature.
- Travel and learn about other cultures. Do this as much as you can!
caring for the Soul
- Get involved in a volunteer organization or activism group. Use your voice or your talents to do some good in the world. We’re all connected, and it’s incredible to experience that connectedness when we work toward a common goal.
- Fuel your passions. Set aside some time each day to do what makes your soul happy. Many of us work so much that we forget how great it feels to paint, dance, make music, write, garden, or swim.
- Be kind to everyone. This includes yourself!
- Avoid gossip and drama. Judging your neighbors and co-workers doesn’t make you superior; it just makes you hard to trust.
- Laugh often. If you take life to seriously, you’re going to miss out on a whole lot of good times.
- Forgive yourself for your past mistakes. Learn from the past, but don’t let it destroy you.