Lakeview UMC has a library with more than 2,000 items, including books, DVDs, CDs and talking books. Fifteen categories of books range from Christian Living to Fiction and Poetry. The Reference Section is especially helpful to those planning talks or working in Bible studies.
The Betty Barrick Library started in 1970 with two stacks outside the receptionist’s office. As it grew, it took over more space. Then in 1996 the present library was dedicated. At the time Betty Barrick was librarian. When she retired in 2012 the library was named in her honor.
Lakeview’s Betty Barrick Library is a ministry of the church, and the Library Board seeks to provide books and other media to support the teaching, preaching, counseling and evangelistic ministries of the congregation.
The collection is intended to aid members and friends in their spiritual development, in living their faith in the community and world today, in serving effectively in the life of the congregation, and in wholesome use of leisure time for enrichment of their lives.
Our collection includes books, periodicals, videos and other media on:
- Individual and group Bible study needs.
- Devotions, prayers and meditations for public or private use.
- Spiritual growth and development in the faith of the Christian.
- Sistory of the Christian church, the Methodist denomination, and Lakeview UMC.
- Wholesome fiction, poetry, biography.
- Spiritual and personal development – aging, retirement, caretaking, grief and other challenges of daily life.
- Along with other topics identified as needed to support LUMC’s mission.
The Library, located in the Fellowship Hall area, is open during church office hours Monday through Friday and on Sunday mornings. The Library Board meets on the first Thursday of each month, September through May. Members are expected to attend the meetings, to work in the Library at least twice a month and to help with extra projects such as book sorting and sales.
If you are interested in joining the Library Board or want further information, please contact Jeannie Hill or send email to email@example.com.
Please come in and explore our collection of books and DVD’s. Check out our blog On The Shelf. Hope to see you there!