Certified Lay Speaker
A Lay Speaker is a member of a local church who is ready and desirous to serve the Church; who is well informed on the Scriptures and on the doctrine, heritage, organization, and life of The United Methodist Church; and who has received specific training to develop skills in witnessing to the Christian faith through spoken communication, church and community leadership, and care giving ministries.
Persons wishing to make this commitment will need to answer yes to the following;
- Will you now renew your membership vow to be loyal to The United Methodist Church and faithfully participate in its ministries by your prayers, your presence, your gifts, and your service?
- Do you believe you have been called by the Holy Spirit to use your skills to lead in your church and community, to expand your caring ministries,
and to witness to the Christian faith in worship and other settings?
- Do you intend to live a life in keeping with the teachings and example of Jesus Christ?
- Do you believe the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments?
- Are you willing to serve your congregation in any way called upon by your Pastor or Charge Conference?
- Are you willing to take the initiative in program support and give leadership to the total work of the local congregation?
- Are you willing to lead meetings for prayer, study, and discussion; to assist in the conduct of worship; and to care for others?
- Are you willing to continue your study, improve your skills, and grow in wisdom and ability?
- Will you, in seeking recognition as Certified Lay Speaker complete an advanced study program as approved by the District Committee on Lay Servant Ministries?
- Are you willing to communicate your faith, offer leadership and resources, be involved in caring ministries, lead worship, and respond in any manner in which your services are requested beyond your local congregation?
We wold like to congratulate Betty Stewart our newest Certified Lay Speaker!
If you are interested in becoming a Certified Lay Speaker, contact the Church Office for more information!